Thursday, September 27, 2012

Late Nights

When Daddy says it's going to be a late night, I confess ... I'm a little excited!

Now for our family, this doesn't happen too often. However, when he has a big project, and can, he may plan to work late. And "late", for my hubby, means 10pm or later. 

As I sat with the kiddos at the dinner table tonight and they were being their rowdy selves, I wondered how many other moms miss their husbands at dinner. {Even when Patrick isn't working "late", he is rarely home before 6:30pm. And for a 2 and 5 year-old, that is too late to start serving dinner. They are trying to munch or taste what's cooking by 5:15, so we usually eat around 5:30 or so.... with or without Dad.} How about the moms whose husbands travel or work late as a ritual? How do they do it? It's almost like being a single mom Monday through Friday. Dinner, bed time, and everything in between is done solo. Don't know that I could do that daily. For my sanity!

And yet, I have learned to enjoy these occasions. 

It means I can have a dedicated baking/shopping day without feeling like the house has to be spotless. {Not that it ever is!}

It means that the kids will get to bed on time. {Dad has a tendency to want to spend just an extra few minutes with them.}

It means I have time to blog. {Aren't you lucky?!}

It means I can catch up on my shows that I've missed. {since nothing comes on before 9 or 10pm and I'm only allowed to watch "Dora" during the day, I get behind a day or two....Thankful for DVR!}

It also means I can eat chocolate chip cookies with milk and not have anyone steal them.

Yep ... I enjoy these late nights. 

As long as they are few and far between!

No comments:

Post a Comment