Monday, October 8, 2012

A Gentle Reminder

We spend most of our young lives going to school. We go every year for at least 13 years. Not because we will forget that 1+1=2, but because if we aren't using it daily, we will forget.

A majority go to church every week. Not because you forget that Jesus said "Love one another", but because you need that reminder after the SUV cut you off on the interstate, the cashier at the checkout gave you the wrong change, and you are starting to doubt people's abilities. 

These things don't make us inadequate, they just make us human.

This past weekend was what we Mormons (members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) call General Conference. Twice a year we have the opportunity to hear from the leaders of our church, the prophet included. The speakers don't usually say anything we haven't heard before, we just need gentle reminders.

For example, in one talk we were reminded that just going to church on Sundays is not enough. We need to live Christ-like lives daily and be examples to our children, friends, and co-workers. It's not anything I hadn't heard before, yet it was a gentle reminder to live my life the way the Lord has intended.

I began a new job at the start of the school year as a music teacher for a preschool. I have the opportunity to sing songs with 1-5 year olds for 2-3 hours, two days a week. During this time, I share a scripture verse with them and have a short spiritual lesson.

Today, during such a time, I was reminded that I need to have these spiritual moments at home, with my children. I try to set an example and take advantage of teachable moments as one child takes a toy from another. But I don't always set aside time for a spiritual moment. We pray together. We read scriptures together. And yet, just taking a minute to say Jesus Christ loves you or remember to give thanks to Heavenly Father for all that you have ... well, those moments have escaped me.

So this evening I paused with my two oldest, opened up the scriptures and shared a spiritual thought with them. It was elaborate or fully planned. But it was intentional.

I am thankful for gentle reminders. I am still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment