Monday, October 15, 2012

Perspective

After reviewing my last two posts, it seems I'm becoming thoughtful in my "old age". (I just passed my half birthday and am now closer to 30 than 29! Eeek!!) Let's not turn over a new leaf now.

Sunday, my cute little family and I visited Latta Plantation. If you live in the Charlotte area and have not been there, please do so. NOW. There are so many things to do that you can go often and not get bored.

We picnicked close to the lake. Our kiddos are slight water freaks. Like every time we cross a bridge, you are sure to hear "Water!" from at least one, if not both of the speaking children. And so once we were finished eating (meaning we waited as long as we could hold Maecie off), we took a walk near the water. There are so many different trails with trees and rocks and interesting things to see and enjoy. I thought the kids might get a little bored without an actual playground, but they were so excited about nature, they didn't care.

And it was during this said walk that we met Sergeant and Mrs. Brown. Now, Clayton and Maecie are not shy children. I'm not sure where they get it from, because I will smile at people, but not really speak unless I know them. I'm not usually comfortable unless I'm in my own territory. However, this never stops these two from chatting away with whomever they pass.

Sergeant and Mrs. Brown were about in their mid to late 60's. They were seated, holding hands. And as we approached, they commented on our lovely family. Clayton pipes up informing them of his name and that he just started kindergarten. After a brief introduction, the Browns commented on how they had a child as well, but he was 32 years old now. But they have a grandchild. And grandchildren are just as precious. 

Between my middle of the night baby feedings, night time potty training, and combating a cold, I have been a little tired. A little cranky, if you will. And seeing this sweet couple, sitting on a park bench and enjoying one another's company with the quiet of nature came with a slight twinge of jealousy.

And then I thought, as the Browns commented on their child and grandchild, that they might have experienced the same slight twinge of jealousy. 

So today I'm enjoying ages 5, 2, and 6 months. Their entertaining stories, cute little dances, and army crawls!

I guess life is all about perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment