Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Daily Reminder

I looked at the dishwasher full of clean dishes, and the sink, full of dirty dishes, and sighed. It's a chore I complete daily. Clean cups out, dirty cups rinsed and put in. Re-clean a dish that didn't quite come clean and put it back in the dishwasher a second time. {Please tell me I'm not the only one...}

Some days I feel bogged down with this chore. No one else in my home does the dishes on a daily basis. Yes, Clayton can help put the silverware away, and sometimes does. But now with school starting, he usually isn't home when the dishes are completed. And one time Patrick lost a bet and had to do the dishes for a week! {we bet on the Super Bowl...And I'll plan to do so again the next Super Bowl!!}

Otherwise, the chore is MINE! 

But today, I was reminded of a poem that sat in my grandmother's kitchen growing up. I can vividly remember standing in the kitchen with avocado green counter tops, looking up at the window sill, over the sink, at the small plaque that sat there. {I told you it was vivid} I said the words over and over to memorize them:

Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell;
While other folks go hungry, we are so very well.
With home and health and happiness, we shouldn't want to fuss;
For by this stack of evidence, God is very good to us.

This little poem was and still is a small reminder that we are fortunate to have the things we do. So instead of dreading the dishes, I count them as a blessing. My family has food, our health, strength and home! We are so fortunate!!

What chore is your daily reminder of the blessings in your life??

No comments:

Post a Comment