Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Choosing Not to Battle

Ever heard anyone say 'choose your battles'? This is a saying I didn't utilize as much until children came into the picture. You know, like when your two-year-old cries and screams and kicks around the floor because it's time to go to church and she wants to wear her tennis shoes instead of her dress shoes. Or when your five-year-old turns on the waterworks because you won't let him watch the same television show for the fourth time in a row. These are the times to 'choose your battles'

>Is it more important to get to church or for your daughter to wear a certain pair of shoes? 

>Should you endure your son's waterworks and pitiful crying or let his brain go to mush? 

....For me, I chose to let my daughter wear her tennis shoes and to endure my son's crying (for the 2 minutes it lasted until I got him distracted making bread for dinner). 

I often choose my battles and decide what is worth the fight and what is not. For me, it's pretty simple. If it's for their safety, too much money, or for my sanity, I fight. If it's not going to hurt anyone or I'm too tired, I give in!

Exhibit G: My daughter's "pajamas" tonight....
In case you can't tell, that is a bathing suit and her cover up. When told to put on pajamas, this is what she brought out. I attempted twice to change her mind, but that was not happening. So I decided it wasn't going to hurt her, it would be okay this one time. Naturally, she responded with, "yep, that's better!". Such an independent little girl!

What battles have you chosen to fight or not to fight recently? 

No comments:

Post a Comment