Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now! You see, I've created my very own first recipe!

Now, really, in this day and age, you don't come up with a new idea. You find something that sounds good on pinterest. You try it out and it may or may not be all you hoped and dreamed it would be. But by tweaking things and changing them, they eventually become your own. No one else wrote it for me. I created it myself.

I LOVE to bake! I love cakes and cookies and breads and basically anything that goes in the oven. I like creating yummy aromas that permeate the house. I like the comfort that baked goods bring to people. And, of course, I love putting yummy things in my tummy!

As soon as the leaves began to change, I was ready for soups and stews and fresh baked breads. This is not going to go well with my diet plan!

But I've also been turning over a new leaf.... I've added pumpkin to my ingredient list.

Truth be told ... I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie. Never have been. I think it's a texture thing.

However, pumpkin flavored cakes and now cinnamon rolls are starting to find their way into my tastebuds.

So I started out with a fabulous dough....



Rolled it out added sugar and cinnamon inside....


Cut them into their cute little rolls (with dental floss, of course!)....



Baked them up and added a superb cream cheese icing and life became wonderful!



Okay, so it was already wonderful but this just put "the icing on the cake," if you will!

Recipe:
1 1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup of sugar
2 T dry yeast
1/4 cup oil

1 egg
1/2 T salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp ginger
3/4 cup pumpkin
4 1/2 - 5 cups bread flour

4 T melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 T cinnamon

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 T milk

1. Mix first 4 ingredients together and let sit until yeast bubbles, about 10 minutes.
2. Add egg, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pumpkin and mix well.
3. Add flour a 1/4 cup at a time until dough comes together. Then dump out onto a floured surface, adding a little flour as needed to keep from becoming sticky.
4. Cover with a clean cloth and let sit for about 10 minutes.
5. Pour some oil on your counter. Divide dough in half and roll or press out to about a 16" by 12" rectangle.
6. Spread 2 T of melted butter on dough. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 T cinnamon and 1/4 cup white sugar. Roll up tight. Divide into 12 rolls and place in a 9x13 greased pan.
7. Repeat with other half of dough.
8. Let rise for 15 minutes.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Icing - mix together cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Add milk a little at a time to desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment